Sunday 27 March 2011

To homeschool, or not to homeschool, that is the question...

Hello there Cubicle Buddies

I trust you are doing well?

So much to talk about since your last visit but where to start...

I think today we will cover a topic that takes up a lot of my thoughts and time.

No....not Disney....  You are so funny though!

Actually I wanted to chat about homeschooling with my kids.  A plus to starting this blog was that I could use it to document what we are doing sometimes.   Mostly for me...but if you want to read about it that's fine by me! 

I still feel very new and unsure about homeschooling.  But I do enjoy the benefits.  This week I tried a new 'way' of going about our week.  I picked a theme and planned the week around that theme.  The theme was 'apples'.  I did this for a few reasons.  I needed something to focus on for the week instead of what we'd been doing and a theme seemed to help this out.  As well, my middle child, Charlotte is showing a real interest in 'doing homeschool stuff like Ryanne'.  So we are starting with 'A' and will pick a theme each week that follows the alphabet for her benefit. 

Now, I have to tell you.  Homeschooling is VERY overwhelming.  There is a lot out there to help homeschoolers out...but you have to figure out which one you want...or which ones.  And there is lots!  And everyone recommends a different one because it worked so well for them!  But if they are all great...how do you choose! 

As well, there are lots of homeschoolers out there to meet...but everyone has their own way of homeschooling their child(ren) so it's hard to find someone to connect with.  But I keep trying.  In fact, the past few weeks I've met some people that seemed to have a similar style of teaching...and the added bonus is they have kids that are similar in age.  Now I have to find time to fit in a play date with them because our SOCIAL calendar is packed.  I put that in large letters because it seems to be the 'biggest' concern about homeschooling.  But I'm pretty sure we are ok in that department.  This week alone is packed with:  nursery school, play dates, dance class, gymnastics class, soccer, Sparks, swimming lessons and the baby sitter is watching them for a few hours one night too.  But I do understand the concern.  In fact I was worried for a while when making the decision to homeschool...until I looked at our calendar and realized how often my kids are exposed to social situations.

So all this takes up a lot of time but also my thoughts.  I second guess myself a lot.  About whether it was the right decision to make.  I know there is no 'wrong' answer and that my kids will benefit either way.  But I think part of a 'Mom's' job description is to second guess everything.  Right? 

But this week I can say I made the right decision.  I saw this when:

1.  I asked the kids if they were ready for math and they jumped up and ran to the table crying 'yeah' and got out the little bears that we use.
2.  Ryanne asked more questions then I could answer about the issues in Libya.
3.  Ryanne successfully read her 'learning to read' books to me and her dad.
4.  Ryanne and Charlotte showered their baby brother with love and gentleness
5.  Ryanne asked if we could get a book from the library about trees and how they grow
6.  Ryanne listened and answered questions asked by the guide during our tour of the Maple Sugar bush
7.  They watched  and asked questions about how the gas guys were installing our dryer.
8.  Came up with great and creative 'apple' stories to write in their apple book
9.  They played together.  Sure, they fight, but they want to play together and be together and sometimes just need help finding the right words to share or compromise...okay...not just sometimes..but they try.

This week our theme is balloons. 

Feel free to leave comments or questions if you want.  I can always use them towards another blog topic.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you are making 'right' decisions all the time for your family. And how cool is it that your kids ran towards math and not away! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homeschooling is a hard decision. I have no doubt in my mind you are you doing the right thing for your family and the girls and Martin will not suffer. They will learn soo much from you and what you have to offer. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete